Select Quayle Topics: Social Issues
- I can see the hate that was there; I can see the bigotry. I
can see it from his perspective.
- -- Vice President Dan Quayle discussing his impressions of
'The Autobiography of Malcolm X'. (The Wall Street Journal, 6/8/92
-- taken from The Quayle Quarterly, Summer/Fall 1992)
I would guess that there's adequate low-income housing in this
- -- Senator Dan Quayle, 10/27/88 (reported in Esquire,
We're going to have the best-educated American people in the
- -- Senator Dan Quayle, 9/21/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)
I don't have to experience tragedy to understand it.
- -- Vice President Dan Quayle during a photo-op in LA,
responding to criticisms that he didn't understand what it meant
to live in the 'inner city'. (WRAL 6/23/92)
When I have been asked during these last weeks who caused the
riots and the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct and
simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame.
Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame.
- -- Vice President Dan Quayle giving an intelligent,
in-depth analysis of the LA riots. (during the Commonwealth Club
There is one picture on TV I'll never forget - the picture of a
man being pulled from his truck and being beaten to death.
- -- Vice President Dan Quayle talking about a LA riot video
tape showing 33-year-old Reginald Denny being beaten unconscious.
Denny, however, did not die from the attack. (Reported by AP
5/1/92, taken from the Quayle Quarterly, Summer/Fall 1992)
My viewpoint is that it's more of a choice than a biological
situation... I think it is a wrong choice. It is a wrong; it is a
wrong choice. I do believe in most cases it certainly is a choice.
- -- Vice-President Dan Quayle discussing his views on
homosexuality while on 'This Week with David Brinkley' 9/13/92.
(reported in the San Francisco Chronicle, 9/14/92)
A very positive message.
- -- Vice President Dan Quayle after listening to a sermon
in which a Georgia minister condemned homosexuality as 'satanic'.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a cure for AIDS in the marketplace before Magic Johnson gets AIDS?
- -- Vice President Dan Quayle, 11/13/91 (CNN)